-   -   Combining Columns keeping only one value (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/205397-combining-columns-keeping-only-one-value.html)

David

Combining Columns keeping only one value

Hello,

I have a spreadsheet where I am trying to consolidate three columns of data
into one column which will keep only one of the three columns values.

Ex:

ColA ColB ColC
Med Bis IT
Eng Med Sci
Sci IT Med

I would want to merge these three just keeping any 'Med' values.

Sheeloo[_2_]

Combining Columns keeping only one value

What is med value? A string which contains 'med'?
Create a helper col where you can have a concatenate with if to get the med
value then convert to value and delete first three cols
=concatenate(if(condition checking for med in a1,a1,"")&if(condition
checking for med in b1,b1,""),if(condition checking for med in c1,c1,""))

"David" wrote:

Hello,

I have a spreadsheet where I am trying to consolidate three columns of data
into one column which will keep only one of the three columns values.

Ex:

ColA ColB ColC
Med Bis IT
Eng Med Sci
Sci IT Med

I would want to merge these three just keeping any 'Med' values.

David

Combining Columns keeping only one value

'Med' in the case of this sheet is the phrase 'Doctor of Medicine'. So I want
it to merge the cells keeping only the phrase Doctor of Medicine if present
in the columns.

"David" wrote:

Hello,

I have a spreadsheet where I am trying to consolidate three columns of data
into one column which will keep only one of the three columns values.

Ex:

ColA ColB ColC
Med Bis IT
Eng Med Sci
Sci IT Med

I would want to merge these three just keeping any 'Med' values.

Sheeloo[_2_]

Combining Columns keeping only one value

Copy this into D1 and copy down
=CONCATENATE(IF(ISERROR(FIND("Doctor of
Medicine",A1)),"",A1),IF(ISERROR(FIND("Doctor of
Medicine",B1)),"",B1),IF(ISERROR(FIND("Doctor of Medicine",C1)),"",C1))

IF you get what you wanted in Col D then Copy it and Past Special|Values in
place and delete Cols A-C