Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Naming a cell

I have a list of telephone numbers and what I'm trying to do is to add the
company name against them in another cell?!
So i have the number, and company name in another workbook for example, and
i am trying to get it so that it shows the name and number in one
spreadsheet?!
Or basically i type in the numner and it automatically searches and fiinds a
company name tpo referance against it?!
Thanks
Steve

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Use VLOOKUP - if your reference data is on sheet2 with phone numbers
in column A and names in column B, and your other list of phone
numbers is on Sheet1 starting in A2, then put this in B2:

=VLOOKUP(A2,Sheet2A:B,2,0)

and copy down. You must ensure that the phone numbers have the same
format in both sheets, i.e. if you have leading zeros in one sheet
then you must have the same in the other sheet.

This looks for exact matches, but if the number does not appear in the
second sheet the formula will return #N/A.

Hope this helps.

Pete

On Oct 7, 3:01*pm, Steve wrote:
I have a list of telephone numbers and what I'm trying to do is to add the
company name against them in another cell?!
So i have the number, and company name in another workbook for example, and
i am trying to get it so that it shows the name and number in one
spreadsheet?!
Or basically i type in the numner and it automatically searches and fiinds a
company name tpo referance against it?!
Thanks
Steve

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If you have entered the number in A1 on Sheet 1 and you have your number &
name in Sheet 2 in Col A (number) & B (name) then enter in B1 of Sheet1 -
=VLOOKUP(A1,Sheet2!A:B,2,FALSE)