Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Format .txt file contents to numeric format will not work - help!

Hello,

I have imported a .txt file to Excel that has 3 columns x 50+ rows of data
like this:

ID # Name Dollar Amount
101 Joe Smith 100.00

I want to add up the Dollar Amount column and that is where I am stuck.
Excel will not add up this column for me!

I ensured that the 'General' format was selected when I used Text to Columns
and I also used the format menu to change the column to numeric value and
still the column would not add up when I use the Alt+ command.

By accident I had a double-clicked a random cell in the Dollar Amount column
and after doing so, Excel moved the contents from a right alignment to left
alignment and recognized the cell contents as a numeric value as this value
showed up in the cell where i tried using the Alt+ command. So then I double
clicked the remaining values in the column and only then would the sum
feature work.

Am I doing something wrong when I originally import the data? What steps
can I use to have the Dollar Amount column be recognized as a number value so
that I can then sum the column? I cannot keep double clicking the cells as
this task involves over 100 rows to be totalled on a monthly basis.

Any/All suggestions are greatly appreciated! :)
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Tacrier,

In an adjacent column, try =VALUE(<cell) of all the records. Then copy and
paste the results over the originals. You should be able to Sum on that.

--
--Thomas [PBD]
Working hard to make working easy.

"Tacrier" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Tacrier,

You're very welcome and thanks for the feedback.

--
--Thomas [PBD]
Working hard to make working easy.

"Tacrier" wrote: