Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Last populated cell in a column

I am trying to write a formula that will recognize the last populated cell in
a given column, and then display what is in that cell. Is there a function
that will recognize the last populated cell in a given column?
--
RedFive
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Lots of options here...

http://www.xldynamic.com/source/xld.LastValue.html
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"RedFive" wrote:

I am trying to write a formula that will recognize the last populated cell in
a given column, and then display what is in that cell. Is there a function
that will recognize the last populated cell in a given column?
--
RedFive

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi,

=INDIRECT("A"&SUMPRODUCT(MAX((ROW(A1:A1000))*(A1:A 1000<""))))

or if you know its a number
=LOOKUP(10^23,A:A)

or if you know its text
=MATCH(REPT("z",255),A:A)

Mike

"RedFive" wrote:

I am trying to write a formula that will recognize the last populated cell in
a given column, and then display what is in that cell. Is there a function
that will recognize the last populated cell in a given column?
--
RedFive

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

=INDIRECT("A"&SUMPRODUCT(MAX((ROW(A1:A1000))*(A1:A 1000<""))))

A little bit shorter...

=LOOKUP(2,1/(A1:A65535<""),A1:A65535)

--
Rick (MVP - Excel)
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Rick,

I've posted that a dozen time for something like

=LOOKUP(2,1/(A1:A65535="This"),B1:B65535)

But never considered it for finding the last value in the same column Nice
one. But it can be made even shorter

=LOOKUP(2,1/(A1:A65535<""),A:A)

Mike

"Rick Rothstein" wrote:

=INDIRECT("A"&SUMPRODUCT(MAX((ROW(A1:A1000))*(A1:A 1000<""))))

A little bit shorter...

=LOOKUP(2,1/(A1:A65535<""),A1:A65535)

--
Rick (MVP - Excel)

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I'm glad you posted that back to me. As it turns out, I have both versions
of that formula in my "library" for some reason. I know in the past I used
the version you posted; but for some reason I grabbed the other one this
time. I have now updated my "library" so that only the one version of the
formula now exists in it. Thanks.

--
Rick (MVP - Excel)