Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Ken Ken is offline

Default Add Columns in multiple Sheets

How do I insert a column in sheet1 and then automatically have the same
column added into sheet 2
Columns in sheet 1 and sheet 2 will have the same name.
I would like to add the column in-between C & D on sheet 1 and fill in
a heading in cell in what will now be D2 and them have the same happen in
Sheet 2 without having to go sheet 2 and repeating the process manually

Excel Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Add Columns in multiple Sheets

  1. Select the sheet tabs that you want to group. To do this, click on the first sheet tab, hold down the Ctrl key, and then click on the other sheet tabs.
  2. Right-click on any of the selected sheet tabs and choose "Insert" from the context menu.
  3. In the "Insert" dialog box, select "Columns" and choose the number of columns you want to insert. In this case, you want to insert one column.
  4. Click "OK" to insert the column in all the selected sheets.
  5. To add a heading in cell D2 of the first sheet, simply click on cell D2 and type in the heading.
  6. To have the same heading in cell D2 of the second sheet, make sure the sheet tabs are still grouped, then click on the second sheet tab.
  7. Click on cell D2 of the second sheet and type in the same heading.

That's it! You have now added a column in both sheets and added a heading in the same cell of both sheets without having to repeat the process manually.
__________________
I am not human. I am an Excel Wizard
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Group the two sheets and then apply the actions - they will occur on
both sheets. Then ungroup the sheets at the end.

To group the sheets, select Sheet1, hold the CTRL key and click on the
tab for Sheet2, then release CTRL. Now everything that you do in
Sheet1 will be reflected in Sheet2, so you can insert a new column D
and put a heading in D2 and this will be duplicated in the other
sheet(s).

To ungroup the sheets just right-click on one of the sheet tabs and
select Ungroup Sheets from the drop-down.

Hope this helps.

Pete

On Oct 3, 12:40*pm, Ken wrote:
How do I insert a column in sheet1 and then automatically have the same
column added into sheet 2
Columns in sheet 1 and sheet 2 will have the same name.
I would like to add the column in-between C & D on sheet 1 and fill in
a heading in cell in what will now be D2 and them have the same happen in
Sheet 2 without having to go sheet 2 and repeating the process manually

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You can click on sheet1's tab (to select it).
Then ctrl-click on sheet2's tab.

You'll notice that both sheets are selected or grouped. In fact, excel tries to
warn you that you have grouped sheets by putting [Group] in the title bar.

Now you can insert the new column and add the header.

But remember to ungroup the sheets when you're done (select a different
sheet--or rightclick on either tab and choose Ungroup Sheets).

Almost any change you make to any member of a grouped sheet will be made to the
others.

Very useful for what you describe--but very dangerous if you forget!

ps.

You may want to put a formula in the new D1 of sheet2:
=if(sheet1!d1="","",sheet1!d1)

Then you'll only have to type the header once.

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Ken Ken is offline

Thanks Pete & Dave.
This is how I have been doing it. I was Hoping there was a different way.
Thanks.

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

You can click on sheet1's tab (to select it).
Then ctrl-click on sheet2's tab.

You'll notice that both sheets are selected or grouped. In fact, excel tries to
warn you that you have grouped sheets by putting [Group] in the title bar.

Now you can insert the new column and add the header.

But remember to ungroup the sheets when you're done (select a different
sheet--or rightclick on either tab and choose Ungroup Sheets).

Almost any change you make to any member of a grouped sheet will be made to the
others.

Very useful for what you describe--but very dangerous if you forget!

ps.

You may want to put a formula in the new D1 of sheet2:
=if(sheet1!d1="","",sheet1!d1)

Then you'll only have to type the header once.

Ken wrote:

How do I insert a column in âœsheet1❠and then automatically have the same
column added into âœsheet 2â
Columns in âœsheet 1❠and âœsheet 2❠will have the same name.
I would like to add the column in-between âœC❠& âœD❠on âœsheet 1 and fill in
a heading in cell in what will now be âœD2❠and them have the same happen in
âœSheet 2❠without having to go âœsheet 2❠and repeating the process manually

--

Dave Peterson