Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Generating New Worksheets Every Month

Hi,

So I keep track of daily activities in a worksheet on a monthly basis.
I wanted to know if in excel I could have it generate a new worksheet
at the beginning of the new month and maybe restrict access to the
previous months? Also I have a few formulas feeding other workbooks
would it be possible to have the formulas carry over but offset them
so that the new months values would be in the column next to the
previous months?

Thanks in advance
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You can lock all the cells on the previous month's worksheet. Then you can
protect that worksheet.

In xl2003 menus:
Select all the cells
format|cells|protection tab|check locked

Then Tools|Protection|protect sheet tab
give it a memorable password

Be aware that this worksheet protection is easily broken by anyone who really
wants to.

====
If you have formulas in other workbooks that point at a specific sheet, you'll
have to adjust them (Edit|Replace????).

One suggestion that may work for you.

Name the current month's worksheet: Current
Then when you're done with that month, you can rename it to the previous month's
name--do this with all the other receiving workbooks closed--so they don't
adjust the formula.

Then use Current for the new worksheet.

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

wrote:

Hi,

So I keep track of daily activities in a worksheet on a monthly basis.
I wanted to know if in excel I could have it generate a new worksheet
at the beginning of the new month and maybe restrict access to the
previous months? Also I have a few formulas feeding other workbooks
would it be possible to have the formulas carry over but offset them
so that the new months values would be in the column next to the
previous months?

Thanks in advance

--

Dave Peterson

Thanks for the help Dave, it was very helpful.
And your suggestion was great it seems to work quite well.

Thanks again.