Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Export to .csv while cell contains the text1E001 but it is NOT an exponential

Hello,

these figures are roomnumbers of an officebuilding.

1E001
1E010
1E011
1E013
1E016
1E017
1E023

So they are NOT exponentials.

While exporting these to a .csv file they are changed into

1,00E+01
1,00E+10
1,00E+11
1,00E+13
1,00E+16
1,00E+17
1,00E+23

I tried to write the number in text-formatted cells but even than I get the
same results.
Anyone who knows a workaraound?

Rob

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I think you'll find that when you save as a CSV the text will be unchanged.
Open the CSV with Notepad or another text editor and I reckon that you'll
see it OK.

The problem arises if you let Excel open the CSV file with its default
options. It will try to change the text to numbers. If you do want to open
the CSV with Excel, do it by using Excel's Data/ Import External Data, and
specfify the format of the relevant columns as being Text. Don't use File/
Open or double-clicking the CSV file. [Changing the extension from CSV to
TXT is another way to bypass Excel's defaults and to make sure that you can
specify the format as Text.]
--
David Biddulph

"Rob" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Use NotePad (or your favorite text editor) to look at the file.

I bet it'll look ok.

If you open the .csv file into excel, you'll see that it's the importing that
causes the trouble.

Rob wrote:

[...]

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

ps. If you must open the file in excel, then rename it to .txt and then use
File|Open. You'll be able to specify each field as text and excel won't convert
them to numbers.

Or you could use:
Data|Import external data|
(in xl2003 menus)

And you'll see the same wizard.

Rob wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Bob, David, Dave,

that's why I LOVE newsgroups. Other people have a fresh look at your
problem. I never thought of checking it out with Notepad. It worked perfect!

Thanks!

Rob

"Rob" schreef in bericht