Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Importing Large Text Files

Hi all!!
I'm having trouble importing very large text files into Excel 2007. The
files I am dealing with are within the acceptable range for the number of
rows (~14000), but not for the number of columns (~19000, whereas the limit
is 16384).
I have tried a number of macros found on the internet, with the hopes of
wrapping the extra columns into a new worksheet, but many of these quit with
an error message saying something along the lines of "Out of Memory."
I have also tried using the Text Import Wizard in an attempt to manually
import only the first 16384 columns into one worksheet and the remaining
columns into a second, but this is not working either. When I get to Step 3
of the wizard on my second worksheet, where I would like to highlight all of
the columns I want to skip (the first 16384), the Data Preview window is not
giving me an accurate preview of my columns. It shows roughly the first 1000
(maybe?) and then goes blank, so that I cannot highlight them.

Any suggestions would be more than welcome. I'm banging my head against the
wall here!!!

Thanks so much for your help,
--
-lotstolearn
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I don't know that anyone has written a macro to handle your situation of
having 16k columns. If you send me the file I may have time this weekend
to try it.

--
Jim