Herbert

Default Negative Zero?

Sometimes when I subtract a number from itself, I get a negative zero, rather
than a simple zero. Why is this?
Don Guillett

probably a small diff somewhere in the 15 digits of the number

--
Don Guillett
SalesAid Software

"Herbert" wrote in message
Sometimes when I subtract a number from itself, I get a negative zero,

rather
than a simple zero. Why is this?

Fred Smith

It means that your result is less than zero, but not within the precision
you are displaying. For example, if the result is -0.00000000142, and your
number format is two decimal places, you will see -0.00. Subtracting a
number from itself often results in something other than true zero because
computers convert to binary to do computations. Binary conversions are not
perfect when extended to 15 decimal places.

Fred
Please reply to newsgroup, not e-mail

"Herbert" wrote in message
Sometimes when I subtract a number from itself, I get a negative zero,
rather
than a simple zero. Why is this?

Herbert

"Herbert" wrote in message
Sometimes when I subtract a number from itself, I get a negative zero,
rather
than a simple zero. Why is this?

Fred:

Thanks so much for your answer. It very well addresses my problem, and I am
grateful.

Best regards,
Herbert