Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Balances

Ok, suppose my sheet looks like the following:

A B C
Debit Credit Balance
100 100
300 400
50 350

I just typed those values in but I would like to have Column "C" compute
that if the amount is column "A" then add to get the balance in column "C";
and subtract if the amount is in column "B" . I would like for this formula
to be able to go all the way down column C. ANYONE????

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

your first formula in the column c will be =a1-b1
and your second formula in column c is =$C1+A2-B2
then drag the formula down as many rows as you need. Hope this helps.

"GA85" wrote:

Ok, suppose my sheet looks like the following:

A B C
Debit Credit Balance
100 100
300 400
50 350

I just typed those values in but I would like to have Column "C" compute
that if the amount is column "A" then add to get the balance in column "C";
and subtract if the amount is in column "B" . I would like for this formula
to be able to go all the way down column C. ANYONE????

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

The below would accomplish what you initially requested. Since there is no $
in the formula, the references are relative, but that needn't be the case.

Is there a more complex request hidden within this that may require futher
difficulty?

"GA85" wrote in message
Ok, suppose my sheet looks like the following:

A B C
Debit Credit Balance
100 100
300 400
50 350

I just typed those values in but I would like to have Column "C" compute
that if the amount is column "A" then add to get the balance in column
"C";
and subtract if the amount is in column "B" . I would like for this
formula
to be able to go all the way down column C. ANYONE????

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

One additional question on this.

This makes the balance visable down the entire Balance column. How do you
make this display a balance only when there are entries in Columns B and C?
Yet still keep the running total correct? Like this:

Opening balance: 1000.00

A B C D
Item Depit Credit Bal
-------------------------------
Entry1 100 1100.00
Entry2 150 950.00
Entry3
Entry4 200 1150.00

(nothing displayed here on down...)

Thanks,
John

"GA85" wrote in message
Ok, suppose my sheet looks like the following:

A B C
Debit Credit Balance
100 100
300 400
50 350

I just typed those values in but I would like to have Column "C"
compute
that if the amount is column "A" then add to get the balance in column
"C";
and subtract if the amount is in column "B" . I would like for this
formula
to be able to go all the way down column C. ANYONE????

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I'm not sure this works.

Let's say that C and D in row 'Entry3' has no values, then the 'if' is
false, and no value is placed in the D column. But now Row 'Entry4' has no
value to use in the calulation and the error #VALUE! occurs.

Am I missing something?

"David Biddulph" wrote:

=IF(COUNT(B2,C2)=1,D1+B2-C2,"")
--