Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default How separate a Long text by first space?

I have texts like this in a field example
Column A
a-x00-sss-rtds Right tool, die short
a-x00-sss-maxss Max SS
a-x00-sss-longdie Long die used
a-x00-sss-red Red Solution

I want them separated by first space that exist from left to right, example:

Column A Column B
a-x00-sss-rtds Right tool, die short
a-x00-sss-maxss Max SS
a-x00-sss-longdie Long die used
a-x00-sss-red Red Solution

Thanks in advanced.

--
Lorenzo DÃ*az
Cad Technician
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I would do it with 2 formulas...

=LEFT(E1, FIND(" ", E1)-1)
and
=MID(E1, FIND(" ", E1)+1, 256)

That will give you the seperate values. You can then copy and paste them as
values if you wish...
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"ldiaz" wrote:

I have texts like this in a field example
Column A
a-x00-sss-rtds Right tool, die short
a-x00-sss-maxss Max SS
a-x00-sss-longdie Long die used
a-x00-sss-red Red Solution

I want them separated by first space that exist from left to right, example:

Column A Column B
a-x00-sss-rtds Right tool, die short
a-x00-sss-maxss Max SS
a-x00-sss-longdie Long die used
a-x00-sss-red Red Solution

Thanks in advanced.

--
Lorenzo DÃ*az
Cad Technician

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

great,

It works perfectly..

Thanks
--
Lorenzo DÃ*az
Cad Technician

"ldiaz" wrote:

I have texts like this in a field example
Column A
a-x00-sss-rtds Right tool, die short
a-x00-sss-maxss Max SS
a-x00-sss-longdie Long die used
a-x00-sss-red Red Solution

I want them separated by first space that exist from left to right, example:

Column A Column B
a-x00-sss-rtds Right tool, die short
a-x00-sss-maxss Max SS
a-x00-sss-longdie Long die used
a-x00-sss-red Red Solution

Thanks in advanced.

--
Lorenzo DÃ*az
Cad Technician

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Select the entire list in column A. Then go to the Data menu and choose Text
To Columns. There, select the "Delimited" option, and click Next. Now, check
the "Space" item in the list of delimiters. Finally click Finish. This will
split the text in column A into as many columns as required, based on the
number of spaces in the source text.

--
Cordially,
Chip Pearson

"ldiaz" wrote in message

I have texts like this in a field example
Column A
a-x00-sss-rtds Right tool, die short
a-x00-sss-maxss Max SS
a-x00-sss-longdie Long die used
a-x00-sss-red Red Solution

I want them separated by first space that exist from left to right,
example:

Column A Column B
a-x00-sss-rtds Right tool, die short
a-x00-sss-maxss Max SS
a-x00-sss-longdie Long die used
a-x00-sss-red Red Solution

Thanks in advanced.

--
Lorenzo DÃ*az
Cad Technician

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Copy Column A to Column B so you have the same original list in both
columns. Select Column A and click Edit/Replace on Excel's menu bar. Put the
following in the "Find what" field...

" *"

but leave out the quote marks so only a space followed by an asterisk appear
in the field... and leave the "Replace with" field empty... then click the
"Replace All" button. Now select Column B and put the following in the "Find
what" field (still leave the "Replace with" field empty)...

"*-* "

again, leave out the quote marks so only asterisk, dash, asterisk space
appear in the field... then click the "Replace All" button. Your text should
be distributed in your columns as you wanted.

--
Rick (MVP - Excel)