Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default walkenbach Climate_Data.xls vlookup

I am tryng to use the chart climate_data.xls from
http://spreadsheetpage.com/index.php...data_workbook/
I am having a problem with vlookup. Everything looks fine except that the
only column in the data table that has any values is the column in which the
option buttons are. The code is
=VLOOKUP(City1,INDIRECT(DataTable),COLUMN(),FALSE)

There are 4 buttons 1-4. there are also two validation drop down lists of
cities. The data for each button is has a name; precipitationData,
SunshineData, WindData, and temperatureData. First you select a city in each
validation list. Then you click on buttons 1-4 and you can compare the values
for wind, sunshine, etc.
The data is supposed to populate the chart's data range from the Vlookup
code above. But when I enter the code all I get is #Value!. When I look at
the Vlookup function for Lookup_Value which is "city1" there is a red
comment, ="#Value!
Does it have something to do with the cell's format. I tried changing that
but nothing. The Table_arra = Volatile, Col_Index_Num ={1}, and the
Range_Lookup = False.
It works in the sample chart from the Walkenbach site, but I can't get it to
work. Thanks.

Jackie
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On Sep 18, 11:40*am, jackie wrote:
I am tryng to use the chart climate_data.xls fromhttp://spreadsheetpage.com/index.php/file/climate_data_workbook/
[...]

Jackie, that formula uses the COLUMN function which returns the column
number of the formula. The formula works correctly if it's in columns
B through M.

-John
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi John,
I went back and recreated City1 and Ciy2. Originally I went across J-L when
creating the dropdown for the lists. This time I I merged cells J-M and it
worked!. Thank you.