Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Linking Data from a website question

The scenario:

I have an Excell sheet that I want to keep up to date prices on widget X, Y
or Z from different websites. I know how to make a hyperlink to a specific
website. However, is there a way to scan or link directly to a changing value
on the site.

The Bottom Line:

I want my spreadsheet to have cells that update each time I open it with
updated prices from various websites.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi,

You should be able to do it with a web query.
Select where you want the data to go then
Data|Import external data|New web query
Paste the link of where your data is into the address bar. I used this
http://newsvote.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/f...ew/default.stm

Click GO
All the tables you can import will have a yellow tick on the top left corner
click one - I selected FTSE
Click Import and your table will be created
Right click the table to set update refresh frequency.
If you use my link then you can watch the FTSE die in almost real time or if
you prefer click the Dow Jones :)

Mike