Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default how do i get excel to read 03/07 as March 2006 instead of 03 Jul?

i have received a spreadsheet with dates labled as text mm/yy. i was able to
convert it to a number, but when i try to add years to it, excel converts it
to dd/mm/2008 then ads the year.
for example if i want to add 2 years to 03/07, i get a result of 03 Jul 2010
instead of 1 Mar 2009.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You'll have to either redo the conversion:

=DATE(RIGHT(A1,2)+2000,LEFT(A1,2),1)

or convert the wrong dates:

=DATE(MONTH(A1)+2000,DAY(A1),1)

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten
Microsoft MVP - Excel

"dt1976" wrote in message ...
|i have received a spreadsheet with dates labled as text mm/yy. i was able to
| convert it to a number, but when i try to add years to it, excel converts it
| to dd/mm/2008 then ads the year.
| for example if i want to add 2 years to 03/07, i get a result of 03 Jul 2010
| instead of 1 Mar 2009.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi

Something like
=DATE(2000+RIGHT(A1,2)+2,LEFT(A1,2),1)

--
Arvi Laanemets
( My real mail address: arvi.laanemets<attarkon.ee )

"dt1976" wrote in message
i have received a spreadsheet with dates labled as text mm/yy. i was able
convert it to a number, but when i try to add years to it, excel converts
it
to dd/mm/2008 then ads the year.
for example if i want to add 2 years to 03/07, i get a result of 03 Jul
2010
instead of 1 Mar 2009.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default how do i get excel to read 03/07 as March 2006 instead of 03 J

i used =DATE(RIGHT(A1,2)+2000,LEFT(A1,2),1) and worked!!
thanks