Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default conditional formulae

I would like to create a conditional formula that would initiate an iterative
process such that: If X < Y, then increase a cell value by some value, then
recalculate the spreadsheet. Can this be done?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

First...........a formula cannot increase another cell value, it can only
return values to the cell in which it is written.

You could write in C1 =IF(B1<A1,B1 + 16)

You may need sheet event code.................post a few more details on
what you would like to achieve.

i.e. which cells or values and what would "some value" be equal to

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Sun, 14 Sep 2008 21:24:01 -0700, fredtheengineer
wrote:

I would like to create a conditional formula that would initiate an iterative
process such that: If X < Y, then increase a cell value by some value, then
recalculate the spreadsheet. Can this be done?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks Gord,
The goal is to determine the depth of flow in a pipe not flowing full. I
have established a flow the pipe needs to carry. I have written formulae
that determines the flow in a pipe at a specific depth. I can compare the
given flow with the calculated flow. If the calculated flow is less than the
given flow, I want to increase the depth by some increment (say 0.01 feet),
recalculate, and repeat that process until the calculated flow is = the
given flow. So, the question is how do I increase the depth cell value then
recalculate the sheet? For example,
in C1 write: =if(Qcalc<Qgiven, then E1 + 0.01) the problem is that I need
the new value in C1 inserted back into E1 so I can calculate a new value for
Qcalc. Does that make any sense, or have I not explained it well?
Fred

wrote:

I would like to create a conditional formula that would initiate an iterative
process such that: If X < Y, then increase a cell value by some value, then
recalculate the spreadsheet. Can this be done?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Fred,

You could use a spinner from the Forms toolbar and have your formula
reference the same cell as the spinner. The spinner will only increment
or decrement the cell by 1 on each click so if you want 0.01 increments
you need to use a helper cell like this.

Say the spinner's cell link is G2, then in H2 put =G2/100,
You can then reference H2 in your formula.

To insert the spinner go to ViewToolbarsForms.
Click on the spinner button (a broad up arrow on top of a broad down arrow)
Drag a square in your spreadsheet.
Right click on the spinner and select Format Control
and set your cell link and step increment etc.

HTH
Martin