Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Changing the range for my drop down menu

I have a daily checklist that I created that has drop down menus with
people's names so I can select who sent the document that day. Recently there
has been a new person that sends and I'd like to add them to the drop down
choices.

I've added the new name under the 1 name (the group only had one) and
highlight the 2 cells and rename the range in the name box it doesn't take.
It still has the original 1 name as the range.

What am I doing wrong?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

hi
don't use the name box to rename.
2003 on the menu bar....
insertnamedefine
delete the old name before renaming the new range.

regards
FSt1

"Erinayn" wrote:

I have a daily checklist that I created that has drop down menus with
people's names so I can select who sent the document that day. Recently there
has been a new person that sends and I'd like to add them to the drop down
choices.

I've added the new name under the 1 name (the group only had one) and
highlight the 2 cells and rename the range in the name box it doesn't take.
It still has the original 1 name as the range.

What am I doing wrong?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You need to hit the add button. That being said it sounds like you could
benefit from a dynamic named range...

http://www.cpearson.com/excel/excelF.htm#DynamicRanges
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"Erinayn" wrote:

I have a daily checklist that I created that has drop down menus with
people's names so I can select who sent the document that day. Recently there
has been a new person that sends and I'd like to add them to the drop down
choices.

I've added the new name under the 1 name (the group only had one) and
highlight the 2 cells and rename the range in the name box it doesn't take.
It still has the original 1 name as the range.

What am I doing wrong?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

The DV dropdown is still using the original listname as the source.

Assuming your list range is named MyList and refers to A1

You want to add A2 to the list range

InsertNameDefine.

Select MyList and change the "refers to:" address to =Sheet1!$A$1:$A$2

OR delete the original MyList and create a new MyList with the two cells.

Or change the name in the DV source dialog to match the new one.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Thu, 11 Sep 2008 13:30:01 -0700, Erinayn
wrote:

I have a daily checklist that I created that has drop down menus with
people's names so I can select who sent the document that day. Recently there
has been a new person that sends and I'd like to add them to the drop down
choices.

I've added the new name under the 1 name (the group only had one) and
highlight the 2 cells and rename the range in the name box it doesn't take.
It still has the original 1 name as the range.

What am I doing wrong?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks... I deleted the prior one under the insertnamedefine and added the
new name selected the cells and created a new one.

Thanks for the help