Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Numbers being Auto Date Formatted

I know this question has been asked numerous times. But, wondering if anyone
has found an answer.

Numbers in a field, in a tab-delimited text file when opened in Excel are
getting auto formatted as DATES. There is no way to turn this off and have
information be uploaded, with NO auto formatting of any fields, is that
correct?

NO, saving as .txt format, then opening excel, then importing, then changing
the field to a text value, is NOT an option. Once in a while it is an
inconvenience, doing it 100 times a day, is unacceptable performance.

I know that Open Office will allow me to do this. Should I then tell my over
200 customers that they should start using open office to open these reports?
--
Thanks,
kv