hutcheeez

Default How can I stop rounding in Excel?

I cannot seem to format cells not to have rounding.
I have increased width of columns, increased decimal places.
Neither helps, what can I do?

Earl Kiosterud

Cheeez,

Rounding is determined by the number formatting (Format - Cells - Number).
Tell us what that is, and we'll go from there.

--
Earl Kiosterud

"hutcheeez" wrote in message
I cannot seem to format cells not to have rounding.
I have increased width of columns, increased decimal places.
Neither helps, what can I do?

Bill Martin -- (Remove NOSPAM from address)

hutcheeez wrote:

I cannot seem to format cells not to have rounding.
I have increased width of columns, increased decimal places.
Neither helps, what can I do?

Well, I'm not sure what you expect to get instead?

If you mean that you want the number 2.7 to appear as 2.0 then you use:

[ ] = INT(A1)

If you mean that you want it to somehow track how many significant
figures are in your calculation as you would in a scientific calculation
to track the precision of a measurement, that's not built into Excel as
far as I know. I don't see how it could do that automatically.

If you mean that you do some calculation that should provide an exact
answer of 2.1000 but it gives you 2.0999999 or something instead, that's
the nature of computers that do math in binary arithmetic but display
the results in decimal. No real way around it. You can improve it by
going to multiple precision, but it's inherent in the decimal binary
decimal conversion going on under the covers. In critical applications
people design whole systems to actually calculate internally in decimal
rather than binary, but I'm not aware of any mass market spread sheet
type tools that do it as it's very inefficient.

Good luck....

Bill
Alan

If you mean 1.265988 shows as 1.27, go on to 'Format Cells' and select
'Number' then set as many decimal places as required up to I believe 15.
Note that even though 1.265988 shows as 1.27, the cell still contains
1.265988 and all calculations will be performed with that figure unless you
use the ROUND, ROUNDUP or ROUNDDOWN functions to round up or down.
Regards,
"hutcheeez" wrote in message
I cannot seem to format cells not to have rounding.
I have increased width of columns, increased decimal places.
Neither helps, what can I do?

Duke Carey

By any chance is the 'Precision as Displayed' box checked on the Calculation
tab under Tools | Options?