Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default want negative product not positive

the product of this formula =CEILING(E14/(C14/12),1) is 12 when the factors
are negative numbers (E14 is -15 and C14 is -16)

But I want the product to be a negative number -12 not 12

Any help out there? Thank you
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Something like:

CEILING(E14/(C14/12),1)*if(and(e14<0,c14<0),-1,1)

Regards,
Fred.

"swell estimator" wrote in
message ...
the product of this formula =CEILING(E14/(C14/12),1) is 12 when the
factors
are negative numbers (E14 is -15 and C14 is -16)

But I want the product to be a negative number -12 not 12

Any help out there? Thank you

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You can do the same thing more simply by using the ABS formula and negating
it (it might be hard to see, but there is a minus sign in front of the ABS
function name)...

=-ABS(CEILING(E14/(C14/12),1))

--
Rick (MVP - Excel)

"Fred Smith" wrote in message
Something like:

CEILING(E14/(C14/12),1)*if(and(e14<0,c14<0),-1,1)

Regards,
Fred.

"swell estimator" wrote in
message ...
the product of this formula =CEILING(E14/(C14/12),1) is 12 when the
factors
are negative numbers (E14 is -15 and C14 is -16)

But I want the product to be a negative number -12 not 12

Any help out there? Thank you

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

First off, "product" is the result of a multiplication... the result of a
division is called a "quotient". Next, when two negative numbers are
divided, the quotient is always positive (in the same way the product is
positive when two negative numbers are multiplied). Given that you want a
result which breaks the normal mathematical rule, I think you need to tells
us the sign of the result you want when E14 is positive and C14 is negative.
You also need to tell us the result you want when E14 is negative and C14 is
positive. Finally, you need to tell us the result you want when E14 and C14
are both positive. Armed with this extra information, we can then give you a
formula to use in order for you to get the results you want.

--
Rick (MVP - Excel)

"swell estimator" wrote in
message ...
the product of this formula =CEILING(E14/(C14/12),1) is 12 when the
factors
are negative numbers (E14 is -15 and C14 is -16)

But I want the product to be a negative number -12 not 12

Any help out there? Thank you

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

There is not really that much to it... it always returns the positive value
of its argument (think of it as stripping off the sign whether that sign is
plus or minus).

You can get to Excel's help file on **any** function used in a formula
(except the DATEDIF function) by clicking on the function name in the
Formula Bar, moving the cursor to the left of the equal sign and clicking on
the 'fx' button (if it is not showing, it will show when you move the cursor
over where it should be), and then clicking on the "Help on this function"
link at the bottom of the dialog box that appeared.

--
Rick (MVP - Excel)

"swell estimator" wrote in
message ...

"Fred Smith" wrote:

Something like:

CEILING(E14/(C14/12),1)*if(and(e14<0,c14<0),-1,1)

Regards,
Fred.

"swell estimator" wrote in
message ...
the product of this formula =CEILING(E14/(C14/12),1) is 12 when the
factors
are negative numbers (E14 is -15 and C14 is -16)

But I want the product to be a negative number -12 not 12

Any help out there? Thank you

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

True, as long as E14 and C14 will **always** have the same sign (either both
being negative or both being positive). But the one "example" provided by
the OP is not enough to actually know what the OP wants if the signs of E14
and C14 are different... so I took a guess that he always wanted the result
of his formula to be a negative value in no matter what the signs of E14 and
C14 are... in that case, the negated ABS function call is necessary. I did
ask the OP about what he actually wanted when the signs of E14 and C14
differed, but he has not responded yet.

--
Rick (MVP - Excel)