Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Find/replace numbers

I have a column with a lot of information in it from our clients. some of
the cells have credit card numbers in them. all i want to do is tell excel
to find any group of 4 numbers ex. 5689 or 4589 and delete it. here is a
breif example of what you may find in any given cell. the numbers are not
real BTW. i have 4 thousand cells like the one below, i cant change them it
would take too long, i just want excel to find groups of four numbers and
then change them so no one can see the phone numbers, cc numbers or ss numbers
thank you

08-04-03
08-01-03 - I called him and He confirmed that he will take the intermediate
course
07-28-03 - He emailed to charge his account on monday
07-25-03 - he reffered his friend
07-25-03 - registered for Intro course
Visa 5896 - 2115 - 1709 - 4589 Exp: 11-2004
07-23-03 - said he wants to take the course during the FS.
07-23-03 - attended FS
07-23-03 - Comfirmed to confirm free seminar

"

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

No solution, but just another thing to be aware of, what if someone's email
is ?
You will probably need VBA for this, and if the format of all credit cards
are the same, could search for that xxxx - xxxx - xxxx - xxxx.

You might also do a 'helper' column that will search and see if a line has a
key that it might be a credit card info (i.e.: 3 dashes, or the phrase Exp:),
etc. Sorry couldn't be of more help, but just wanted to warn you of carte
blanche eliminating any set of 4 numbers (not to mention your field of Exp:
11- would look odd as well.

--
John C

"tonyd" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

i am not concerned with how the other numbers in the feild will be affected,
the email address and other important info are in other feilds, im more
concerned wuith the notes in the cells