Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Hexadecimal data

I receive a .CSV file that contains hexadecimal data. Ordinarily, this
represents no problem, but occasionally, the raw data might look like this:

7E00
7E08
7DEC

Excel displays these values as:

7.00E+00
7.00E+10
07-Dec

clearly not the values I want displayed. The data comes from a source that
I cannot control so there is no way to request the data in a different
format. Is there a way to prevent EXCEL from making these changes?

Thanks.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Because the file is .csv, Excel is trying to "help" you. To avoid this
"help", first open Excel and then:

Data Import External Data Import Data and then tell the Wizard which
..csv file to open. This forces the Import Wizard to ask you about the
fields. Tell the Wizard that the field is text.

Alternatively, rename the file to something other than .csv

This will also force the Import Wizard to appear.
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200802