Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default I am unable to open excel shortcut.

When I try to open an excel file "shortcut" icon from desktop I get an error
message saying "unable to open - check file name spelling". I have tried
reloading microsoft office and no change.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Check the obvious first: make sure that the file actually still exists in the
path and with the filename specified by the shortcut. You might even try
making a new shortcut to the file and seeing if it works or not.

One remote possibility: Open Excel and choose Tools | Options and then click
on the [General] tab and check the box next to "Ignore other applications"
and then the [OK] button. Close Excel and see if your desktop shortcut works
then.

"Ken B" wrote:

When I try to open an excel file "shortcut" icon from desktop I get an error
message saying "unable to open - check file name spelling". I have tried
reloading microsoft office and no change.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Place double quotes around the shortcut path

"C:\yourpath to excel\excel.exe"

You can also re-register Excel which should do the same thing.

Close Excel first and On the Windows Taskbar

1) StartRun "excel.exe /unregserver"(no quotes)OK.
2) StartRun "excel.exe /regserver"(no quotes)OK.

See the space between exe and /regserver

You might have to designate a full path to excel.exe.

In that case StartRun "C:\yourpath\excel.exe" /regserver(quotes
required)OK.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP