Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Average without numbers

How would I get the true Average of cell a10 - j10 if only 4 of the cells
have a number.
Example

A10, B10, f10, all have the number 10 but when I get the average I get 3 as
the average and not 10. It should be 10.
Thanks in advance.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

One way assuming there are no negative numbers:

=SUM(A10:J10)/MAX(1,COUNTIF(A10:J10,"0"))

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Ed Davis" wrote in message
How would I get the true Average of cell a10 - j10 if only 4 of the cells
have a number.
Example

A10, B10, f10, all have the number 10 but when I get the average I get 3
as the average and not 10. It should be 10.
Thanks in advance.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Ed Davis wrote:
How would I get the true Average of cell a10 - j10 if only 4 of the
cells have a number.
Example

A10, B10, f10, all have the number 10 but when I get the average I get 3
as the average and not 10. It should be 10.
Thanks in advance.

Hi Ed,

I understand what your describing, but on my machine I get average = 10
whether the non-numeric cells are blank or have text.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

How would I get the true Average of cell a10 - j10
A10, B10, f10, all have the number 10 but when I get the average I get 3

I get average = 10

Fill all the other cells with 0 and you'll get an average of 3.

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"smartin" wrote in message
Ed Davis wrote:
How would I get the true Average of cell a10 - j10 if only 4 of the cells
have a number.
Example

A10, B10, f10, all have the number 10 but when I get the average I get 3
as the average and not 10. It should be 10.
Thanks in advance.

Hi Ed,

I understand what your describing, but on my machine I get average = 10
whether the non-numeric cells are blank or have text.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

T. Valko wrote:
How would I get the true Average of cell a10 - j10
A10, B10, f10, all have the number 10 but when I get the average I get 3

I get average = 10

Fill all the other cells with 0 and you'll get an average of 3.

But that would be a true average, yes? The OP questioned the average
when "only n of the cells have a number" (where n in {3,4})

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

But that would be a true average, yes?

Not if you want to exclude 0 for whatever reason.

The OP questioned the average when "only n of the cells have a number"
(where n in {3,4})

Yeah, but then how did they get 3 as the result? Filling the the other cells
with 0 does that. I could be wrong but that's how I "read between the lines"
and got a result of 3.

We'll just have to wait for a response from the OP to find out what's really
going on!

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP