Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Hard to Sort Sorting

Does any know if you can sort the following by skipping the 4th letter:

RPE3-063Y11/12060E5
RPE3-063C11/12060E5
RPE3-063H11/12060E5
RPE4-063Y11/12060E5
RPE4-063C11/12060E5
RPE4-063H11/12060E5

I would like to know if I can get them to automatically sort into the
following way.

RPE3-063C11/12060E5
RPE4-063C11/12060E5
RPE3-063H11/12060E5
RPE4-063H11/12060E5
RPE3-063Y11/12060E5
RPE4-063Y11/12060E5

For us the 4 item is a series number and we have parts that have been
updated and need to be merged in our system. I thought that this would be an
easier way to sort through the items.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You could add an extra column and just elminate that character:

=left(a1,3)&mid(a1,5,len(a1))
drag down and sort by that helper column

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

=CODE(MID(A1,9,9)) in a helper column