Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Password Protect so can't save and change

Is there a way to password protect (for modify) an original worksheet/book,
so that if someone opens it and chooses 'save as', it still won't let them
make any changes?
I have a workbook that was not password protected but that had incorrect
information in it. Someone saved it as a copy, made some format changes and
posted it for others to use, however, again, it still has wrong information
in it because only the original was fixed. How can I protect the original,
so that any 'saved' copies will still require a password to modify?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

In article , ?B?QnJhbmR5?= wrote:
Is there a way to password protect (for modify) an original worksheet/book,
so that if someone opens it and chooses 'save as', it still won't let them
make any changes?
I have a workbook that was not password protected but that had incorrect
information in it. Someone saved it as a copy, made some format changes and
posted it for others to use, however, again, it still has wrong information
in it because only the original was fixed. How can I protect the original,
so that any 'saved' copies will still require a password to modify?

Be warned that even the "protection" you want (no I don't know how to do
that, sorry :) ) is very little protection indeed. Excel protection
is very limited. Sometimes a copy/paste will reveal hidden columns (for
example) ... and there are many password removers out there. You are
protecting against beginner users and honest people only. :)