Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
tom tom is offline

Default custom inputs

I am using Office xp and I need to enter some part numbers that are formatted
in the following manner: 123-abc-456
three numbers then 3 letters then 3 numbers separated by dashes. I tried to
create a custom number format using 000-000-000 or 999-999-999 . It won't
work with the apha characters. as long as it is all numbers it works fine.
Can such a custom input format be constructed? Your help is most appreciated

email

Thanks

Tom
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

There is no custom formatting for text... You can either use a macro that
responds to the on change event or you can place the formatted text in a
seperate cell with a formula...
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson