Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default 2 columns of data to return an answer (Vlookup???)

Here is an example of the spreadsheet I have:

Width Thick Cost
1 1 $20
1 2 $25
1 3 $30
2 1 $25
2 2 $30
3 3 $35

I want my salespeople to enter in the width in one cell and the
thickness in another cell and have it return the cost. I imagine I
will have to use the Vlookup function.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On Sep 2, 2:14*pm, wrote:
Here is an example of the spreadsheet I have:

Width * *Thick * *Cost
1 * * * * * 1 * * * * *$20
1 * * * * * 2 * * * * *$25
1 * * * * * 3 * * * * *$30
2 * * * * * 1 * * * * *$25
2 * * * * * 2 * * * * *$30
3 * * * * * 3 * * * * *$35

I want my salespeople to enter in the width in one cell and the
thickness in another cell and have it return the cost. *I imagine I
will have to use the Vlookup function.

I need to add that I am looking for some help on which formula to use
to achieve thisl.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Assuming your salespeople put the Width value in D1 and the Thick value in
E1 (and assuming your data is in Columns A thru C), then this formula will
return the Cost...

=SUMPRODUCT((A1:A1000=D1)*(B1:B1000=E1)*C1:C1000)

--
Rick (MVP - Excel)

wrote in message
Here is an example of the spreadsheet I have:

Width Thick Cost
1 1 $20
1 2 $25
1 3 $30
2 1 $25
2 2 $30
3 3 $35

I want my salespeople to enter in the width in one cell and the
thickness in another cell and have it return the cost. I imagine I
will have to use the Vlookup function.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

VLOOKUP() isn't going to be able to do it for you. You have to be able to
examine both the width and thickness columns to get the right answer. So
SUMPRODUCT() becomes your friend here.
For the example below, your table is on 'Sheet1' and it goes from row 1 down
to row 7, with row 1 being labels. It is in columns A, B and C.
On the same sheet, or another your user puts the width into A1 and the
Thickness into B1, and on that sheet you have this formula:
=SUMPRODUCT(--('Sheet1'!$A$1:$A$7=$A$1),--('Sheet1'!$B$1:$B$7=$B$1),($C$1:$C$7))