Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default automatically selecting items in drop down list

I have a sheet that returns different performance results for 21 categories,
based on a drop down list of 3 choices. Depending on the item selected from
the list (A, B, or C ), different values populate the 21 categories, and a
"total" is shown in a single cell, based on the respective choice.

Currently, I have to MANUALLY select from the drop-down list to see all
three different totals.

I would also like a "quick reference" to know all three results,
immediately, for a quick comparison.

How can I create a separate group of 3 cells, that will AUTOMATICALLY assume
that each choice in the drop-down list was made, and let me instantly see the
comparisons?

I thought of using IF, but that would still mean I would need to manually
pull the list box down and select one of the three choices.

Thanks,

Tom
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hey Tom,

Assuming the list is populated by a range of cells somewhere (containing A,
B, and C), just write formulas in 3 cells that reference each cell in that
range and perform the necessary calculations.

"Tom Mucciolo" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I thought of using IF, but that would still mean I would need
to manually pull the list box down and select one of the three choices.

No, you'd use the "IF" condition just for the single item that is selected.

IF(A1="A",do_this,IF(A1="B",do_this,IF(A1="C",do_t his,do_that)))

So, it seems to me you'd need a *separate set of calculations* that assumes
all the items have been selected. Since you haven't described what these
calculations do there's not much more I can suggest.

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Tom Mucciolo" <Tom wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Biff,

Thanks.... I did end up creating a separate set of cells that each do the
calculations the drop down list items were each doing...

It works the way I want now.

Thanks for your comment!

Tom

"T. Valko" wrote:

[...]