Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Maintaining Hyperlinks on a pen Drive

Hi,

I have a database containing approximately 25 workbooks with hyperlinks to
each one, and a huge number of formulas that also refer to these workbooks. I
need to transfer the database to another computer but maintain the integrity
of the hyperlinks and all of the formulas. Is there a way to do this given
that the original links will be uprooted but the workbooks remain?

Many thanks in advance for all of your help,

kind regards,

Ant

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

First, I wouldn't do this.

I'd use the thumbdrive to transport files from one pc to another, but then I'd
copy all the files/workbooks from that thumbdrive to my harddrive (using windows
explorer). And I'd make sure that that I used the same unique path each time I
did this.

I think it's safer to work on the files on the harddrive. It'll make for faster
saves. I'll have backups on the thumbdrive if I screw something up. And all
the problems with the links and hyperlinks go away.

But if you wanted to...

You could use a macro to change your links (record one when you do it manually)
and you'll have the code.

And if you have the insert|Hyperlink type of hyperlinks, then you could use the
code from David McRitchie's site:

look for:
Fix Hyperlinks (#FixHyperlinks)

And if you use the =hyperlink() style of hyperlinks, you can strip off the path
from the name of the file and use that in a bunch of edit|Replaces (in code)
(one for each sheet).

When you find that you have links that are hidden (in names or charts) and you
can't seem to find them, you can use Bill Manville's FindLink program:
http://www.oaltd.co.uk/MVP/Default.htm

And if you are working with names, then this will make it much easier to check
your work.

Get Jan Karel Pieterse's (with Charles
Williams and Matthew Henson) Name Manager:

You can find it at:
NameManager.Zip from http://www.oaltd.co.uk/mvp

--

Dave Peterson