Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default cell display 2

Hello Everyone,

I have another question to ask from a previous question that I posted a
while ago, I have included my prev question and it was as follows:

"hi,
-my question is basically for example if u type a value of 50 to lets say
cell A1.
-then u make a simple equation in cell A3 which says the value in cell A3
results from A1 minus A2. ((A3=A1-A2))
-ok now say u type a value of 100 in cell A2.
-this will give a negative result in cell A3 which in this case will be -50.
-My question is is there anything in excel that can change the display of
that -50 in cell A3? Is there a formula or something that either displays a 0
figure i.e. does not display a figure with a negative result?

-The reason I ask this question is because I am working on worksheets that
calculate individuals' promises to a charity and their payments throughout
the year.
For example a person promises $500.00 and pays a total of $550.00 throughout
the course of the year. So I have created as 'Arrears' cell which would
display -$50.00 as this person has overpaid his promises.
I need something in the arrears cell that doesnt display a negative result
or displays a zero if promises are paid excatly or over the amount. Please
help." [end of first qt]

I have been informed of the following fomulars that work and give me a
result of 0 in the cell:
=IF(A1-A2<0,0,A1-A2)
=MAX(0,A1-A2)

*My second major question is how can I change the formula/s to shows in a
cell how much excess an individual has paid from their promise? i.e. say a
promise of $500, a person pays $550, there is excess of $50; How can i change
or get a new formula that shows in the cell this $50 excess paid?
Your assistance will be very much appreciated.

Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi kk,

Do you want to simply hide the -ve values, but leave them there in the backgound (where they might affect other calculations), or
set a 0-value floor to limit the calculation so that anything less than 0 is displayed as 0?

To simply hide: use Format|Cells|Number|Custom and insert:
$#,##0.00;;$0.00
into the 'Type' box (if you only want whole numbers, use: $#,##0;;$0).

To set a 0-value floor, use a formula like:
=MAX(0,A1-A2)

--
Cheers
macropod

"kk-47" wrote in message ...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

thank you macropod for your assistance.
no, what i wanted was the cell to 'display' the extra payment amount like in
my example where a person promises 500, pays 550, you have extra of 50, i
wanted that 50 extra to be displayed in the cell so the person knows that
he/she has paid 50 extra than what their original promise was.

hopefully this clarifies.

"kk-47" wrote in message ...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi kk,