Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Create Secure Data (need employee ID & password to access)

I want to create one file of sensitive data that I can send to multiple
people. Each recipient would enter their employee number and password to
access the data. If someone has done something like this in Excel, please
let me know how it was accomplished.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

The method I use when creating password protection for data sheets is this.

Keep in mind it involves programming with VBA

But VBA has a tool called xlveryhidden
This allows you to hide sheets with out the possibility of someone unhiding
them through the normal method of unhiding sheets

Then I create and store the passwords in a module using a select case
statement.

I then create a user form that is set up like a password box and gets
triggered when the excel file is opened.

If the username and password matches then the xlveryhidden sheets are
unhidden and they can view the data. Once they close excel an event triggers
all the sheets to return to an veryhidden state.

If you add a password protection to viewing the code in Visual Basics Editor
it is basically impenetrable by regular excel users.

"Kimba" wrote:

I want to create one file of sensitive data that I can send to multiple
people. Each recipient would enter their employee number and password to
access the data. If someone has done something like this in Excel, please
let me know how it was accomplished.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Excel internal security is very weak.

Any method of protection you put on can be cracked.

The general advice is................if you don't want someone to see it,
don't include it.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Wed, 27 Aug 2008 09:38:05 -0700, Kimba
wrote:

I want to create one file of sensitive data that I can send to multiple
people. Each recipient would enter their employee number and password to
access the data. If someone has done something like this in Excel, please
let me know how it was accomplished.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

thanks for the response. will your method work if i want to segregate the
data? in other words, when a 'director' enters the correct employee number
and password, only the data that belongs to his department becomes visible.

"Kimba" wrote:

I want to create one file of sensitive data that I can send to multiple
people. Each recipient would enter their employee number and password to
access the data. If someone has done something like this in Excel, please
let me know how it was accomplished.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

In article , ?B?YWtwaGlkZWx0?= wrote:
The method I use when creating password protection for data sheets is this.

Keep in mind it involves programming with VBA

But VBA has a tool called xlveryhidden
This allows you to hide sheets with out the possibility of someone unhiding
them through the normal method of unhiding sheets

Then I create and store the passwords in a module using a select case
statement.

I then create a user form that is set up like a password box and gets
triggered when the excel file is opened.

If the username and password matches then the xlveryhidden sheets are
unhidden and they can view the data. Once they close excel an event triggers
all the sheets to return to an veryhidden state.

If you add a password protection to viewing the code in Visual Basics Editor
it is basically impenetrable by regular excel users.

Note, however, that it is not impenetrable. :)
There are many password removers out there. If it is truly sensitive
data (like employment data for example), then don't send it out.