Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Addition Formula

I am trying to add a number in one cell to another cell which contains a YTD
total. How to i create this YTD total w/o creating another blank cell

Example
Cell 1 = number changes weekly
Cell 2 = number here should add Cell 1 for a YTD total

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Example Current Week
Incidences Goal 80
Weeky Total 1
YTD 16

Example Next Week
Incidences Goal 80
Weekly Total 2
YTD 18

When I change the Weekly # I want the YTD cell calculate YTD
Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I am trying to add a number in one cell to another cell which contains
a YTD total. How to i create this YTD total w/o creating another
blank cell

Example
Cell 1 = number changes weekly
Cell 2 = number here should add Cell 1 for a YTD total

Here's one way using Excel 2003.

In Sheet1, the weekly entry is in B2 and the YTD total will be in C2.

First, in
Tools Options Calculation
check the "Iteration" box to allow circular references.

The approach uses Sheet2 as a workspace. In Sheet2 make these entries:

In A2:
=IF(OR(A1="",A1=TODAY()),"",IF(A2="",TODAY(),A2))

In B2:
=IF(A2=TODAY(),Sheet1!$B$2,B2)

Then copy A2:B2 down for 52 rows (a year of weeks).

Format column A as dates.

Then in A1 put today's date.

Finally, in Sheet1!B3 put
=SUM(Sheet2!B:B)

Here's how it works. Sheet2 keeps a running list of entries. This is useful
in locating data-entry errors after the fact. Sheet2 captures at most one
number from Sheet1!$B$2 per day: the last entered that day. It starts
tomorrow. (You could use WEEKNUM(...) in the test instead of just TODAY()
if you want to be stricter about when the data is entered).
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Retraction (was: Addition Formula)

I take this back ... got to think about it some more.

Sorry about the false start.