Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Pivot Table by Financial Year

I've got a spreadsheet with a large quantity of dates that cross over several
financial years. Is there a simple way to produce a pivot table to group
these dates by financial year, ie from Jul 06 to Jun 07, then Jul 07 to Jun
08 etc? The dates are entered as dd/mm/yyyy format. Any assistance would be
greately appreciated.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Assuming dates are in coloumns.

First sort the data by date.
Insert a coloumn for year
keyin year coloumn based on your requirement (i.e., jul 06 to Jun 07) ( you
may simply do this by filtering date coloumn)
Finally do a pivot based on year coloumn.

regards
rajesh

"fn450" wrote:

I've got a spreadsheet with a large quantity of dates that cross over several
financial years. Is there a simple way to produce a pivot table to group
these dates by financial year, ie from Jul 06 to Jun 07, then Jul 07 to Jun
08 etc? The dates are entered as dd/mm/yyyy format. Any assistance would be
greately appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

An easier way is to Group the dates by year.
Once you've created the pivot table, select the Date field heading & right
click; one of the options will be Group & the default is Month, just need to
amend this to Year.

However, this only works if the data in the date column is all dates -
blanks or text will prevent this happening, in which case you'd have to adopt
Rajesh's solution (which is th eway I used to use until I found out about
Grouping!)

Hope this helps,
Colin Foster