Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Summing Text

how does the formula =a1+1 work for letters instead of numbers? I have in c2
the letter "a" and in c3 i want to add b..which is simple by typing "b"...but
if i need 10 or more letters in a2:a25 or a28, how does the formula work?

sorry for the confusion....and thanks for the help

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You have to convert the character to the ascii code using CODE and add.

Putting this formula in C3 and copying down the column wilshow you how this
works
=CHAR(CODE(C2)+1)

"scott" wrote:

how does the formula =a1+1 work for letters instead of numbers? I have in c2
the letter "a" and in c3 i want to add b..which is simple by typing "b"...but
if i need 10 or more letters in a2:a25 or a28, how does the formula work?

sorry for the confusion....and thanks for the help

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

=CHAR(CODE(C2)+1)

- if I understand you right ?

HTH. Best wishes Harald

"scott" wrote in message
how does the formula =a1+1 work for letters instead of numbers? I have in
c2
the letter "a" and in c3 i want to add b..which is simple by typing
"b"...but
if i need 10 or more letters in a2:a25 or a28, how does the formula work?

sorry for the confusion....and thanks for the help

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Your subject line says "summing"

But your description doesn't seem to match that.

What do you want to do?

Count cells with letters?

=counta(a2:a25)

Or put all the letters in one cell?

=a2&a3&a4&a5&a6 etc.

Or a UDF

Function ConCatRange(CellBlock As Range) As String
Dim Cell As Range
Dim sbuf As String
For Each Cell In CellBlock
If Len(Cell.text) 0 Then sbuf = sbuf & Cell.text & " "
Next
ConCatRange = Left(sbuf, Len(sbuf) - 1)
End Function

Usage is =concatrange(A2:A25)