Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default nested function help, please!

I'm trying to write a formula with the following data using Excel '03:

If a student is tardy once, then it costs him $100. Twice, then it costs
him $200 and the previous $100 and $200 need to be added to show that it cost
him $300 total. If a student is tardy three times, then it costs him $300,
plus the previous $100 and $200, for a grand total of $600. I would like
this formula to go up to ten tardies and not use Visual Basic. or tables.

Thank you!

Steve
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I'm the teacher, not the student!! I have an Excel SS that I use to
calculate student grades and such. This formula would help me because
tardies are a part of student grades. Please help.

"Don Guillett" wrote:

Homework we don't do

--
Don Guillett
Microsoft MVP Excel

"Teacher Steve" <Teacher
wrote in message
I'm trying to write a formula with the following data using Excel '03:

If a student is tardy once, then it costs him $100. Twice, then it costs
him $200 and the previous $100 and $200 need to be added to show that it
cost
him $300 total. If a student is tardy three times, then it costs him
$300,
plus the previous $100 and $200, for a grand total of $600. I would like
this formula to go up to ten tardies and not use Visual Basic. or tables.

Thank you!

Steve

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If you put the number of tardies in A1, you can use this formula to get your
total money!

=(A1*(A1+1)/2)*100

If you can't go over 5500, you can use this variation:
=MIN(5500,(A1*(A1+1)/2)*100)

(10 tardies results in $5500)

Teacher Steve wrote:

I'm trying to write a formula with the following data using Excel '03:

If a student is tardy once, then it costs him $100. Twice, then it costs
him $200 and the previous $100 and $200 need to be added to show that it cost
him $300 total. If a student is tardy three times, then it costs him $300,
plus the previous $100 and $200, for a grand total of $600. I would like
this formula to go up to ten tardies and not use Visual Basic. or tables.

Thank you!

Steve

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

It's expensive being a late student these days !! <bg

Pete

Teacher Steve wrote:

I'm trying to write a formula with the following data using Excel '03:

If a student is tardy once, then it costs him $100. *Twice, then it costs
him $200 and the previous $100 and $200 need to be added to show that it cost
him $300 total. *If a student is tardy three times, then it costs him $300,
plus the previous $100 and $200, for a grand total of $600. *I would like
this formula to go up to ten tardies and not use Visual Basic. or tables.

Thank you!

Steve

--

Dave Peterson- Hide quoted text -