LLEECEE

Default How do I find a Macro in Excel when I don't know its name?

I have an Excel file created by someone else that announces a macro when
opened. How do find the macro to decide to use or delete it? I do not know
its name.

JulieD

Hi

you could look under tools / macro / macros and choose "this workbook" from
the "IN" drop down box at the bottom of the screen ... if it is a macro
stored in a normal module ... if you can't find it there, press ALT & F11 to
switch to the VBE Window, down the left you should see the project explorer
(view / project explorer) with the name of your workbook in bold, under this
you'll see sheet1, sheet2 etc and then thisworkbook - the macro could also
live in any of these places, so double click on each in turn - any macros in
them will show up on the right hand side of the screen

Cheers
JulieD

"LLEECEE" wrote in message
I have an Excel file created by someone else that announces a macro when
opened. How do find the macro to decide to use or delete it? I do not
know
its name.

Gord Dibben

Or it is possible there is no macro, just an empty module.

Debra Dalgleish has info on her site about phantom macros.

http://www.contextures.on.ca/xlfaqMac.html#NoMacros

Gord Dibben Excel MVP