Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Lookup inquiry again

Hi,
I have 2 worksheets "Sheet1" and "Sheet2"
"Sheet1" contains my raw data which is:
Col A Col B Col C
Dog 1 Adata
Cat 2 Bdata
Bird 3 Cdata
Dog 4 Ddata
Cat 5 Edata
Bird 6 Fdata
Dog 7 Gdata
Cat 8 Hdata
Bird 9 Idata

"Sheet2" contains my work data and I need to fill in Col C on this worksheet:
Col A Col B Col C
Dog 4 Ddata
Cat 5 Edata
Bird 6 ???
Dog 1 ???
Cat 8 ???
Bird 3 ???
Dog 7 ???
Cat 8 ???
Bird 6 ???

So, how to get the correct result (that is fill-in the "???" items)? I
already fill-in the first 2 items on Col C, meaning it needs to find the data
in Sheet1 that matches Col A and Col B on Sheet2, then copy teh reuslt in Col
C on Sheet2.

How? Pls help. Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

=VLOOKUP(A2, Sheet1!A:B,2,False)

--
__________________________________
HTH

Bob

"Lorderon" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi,
Thanks for the reply, but unfortunately this does not work. I put your
formula under Col C on Sheet 2 and it will just return the value found on Col
B on Sheet 1 which is wrong.

Again, on Sheet 2 Col C, I need to put a formula to search the value that
matches Col A and Col B on Sheet 2 to that on Sheet 1 then get the value of
Col C on Sheet 1 that matches A & B.

As you can see from my example below, On Sheet 2, Col A (Dog) and Col B (4)
combination has a match on Sheet 1 and that line on Sheet 1 has a Col C value
of "Ddata". So the "Ddata" value of Col C on sheet 1 will be copied to Col C
on Sheet 2, that is why there is "Ddata" on the Col C of Sheet 2.

Wheew! Difficult to explain.....

So any other idea?? Thanks!

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

=VLOOKUP(A2, Sheet1!A:B,2,False)