Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Generic Pivot Chart Column

Hi all,

I have a list of data that has two columns each having a specific Month
Date. What I would like to do is put these two columns into a Pivot table
and get a count of how many times each month appears for each column. So I
think a need a generic column for each month of the year as the "Drop Row
Fields Here" area and then my two date columns as the "Drop Data Items Here"
area. Is this Generic column something I can enlist?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Oshtruck user wrote:
Hi all,

I have a list of data that has two columns each having a specific Month
Date. What I would like to do is put these two columns into a Pivot table
and get a count of how many times each month appears for each column. So I
think a need a generic column for each month of the year as the "Drop Row
Fields Here" area and then my two date columns as the "Drop Data Items Here"
area. Is this Generic column something I can enlist?

Hello,

Unless I misunderstand, I think you need two helper columns and two
pivot tables. I am assuming there is no correlation between the two date
columns, and you just want a count by month within each column.

If you have dates in A2:Ax and B2:Bx, set up two helper columns to
decompose these dates into months, e.g., in column C:
=DATE(YEAR(A2),MONTH(A2),1)

Or, if all you care about is the month number,
=MONTH(A2)

Do the same in column D, pointing to column B as the source.

Make sure you place labels C1 and D1, e.g., Month1 and Month2

For pivot table 1, select column C, and place the value in the row area
and the data area. This should default to Count of Month1.

Repeat the pivot table exercise for column D.