Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Beyond IF Statement

I have a spreadsheet that I need to change the information in column A and in
Column C based on Column F. Normally I would write a simple IF statement,
but I have over 75 possibilities for column F. Is there any way to do this?

Jase4now

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

John,

The spreadsheet contains Teachers names and room numbers, but the room
numbers are mixed up. Column A is TEACHER FIRST NAME column C is TEACHER
LAST NAME column F is ROOM number. I need to change the room number based on
the teachers FIRST & LAST names. For example, A1 = John, and C1 =Doe, then
change F1 to 48.

The IF function doesnt allow me enough 'if this, than that'. There are
about 75 teachers and when we pull the report over from the reporting system
to Excel, the room numbers get messed up.

I hope this helps a little more.

"Jase4now" wrote:

I have a spreadsheet that I need to change the information in column A and in
Column C based on Column F. Normally I would write a simple IF statement,
but I have over 75 possibilities for column F. Is there any way to do this?

Jase4now

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Okay. Somewhere, (I usually prefer a separate tab, especially for large
tables), create a table with a list of all teachers, and the correct room
number.
For example, create sheet RoomNo, in cell A1, type teacher's name (first and
last with a space in between). In cell B1, type that teacher's room number.
Continue on until you get all the teachers set up.

Then, on your main tab, your formula in column F (starting on row 2) would
look something like this:
=VLOOKUP(A2&" "&C2,RoomNo!$A$1:$B$75,2,FALSE)

I am sure you have checked, but I would be concerned about the integrety of
the data pulled over. If it is messing up the room numbers. It might be
messing up something else less obvious.

Hope this helps.
--
John C