Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default reverse cursor/text direction within cell

Hi,

I'm trying to enter text within a cell from right to left instead of
the default left to right. For example, if I type "jason" I normally
see "jason" in the cell. What I would like to see is "nosaj" instead
of "jason". I'm not looking for a reverse text macro since I want the
direction to be changed as I type it in. Does anyone know if there is
a way to change the default settings to permit this?

Thanks,
Jason

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Copy/paste the UDF to a general module.

Public Function RevStr(rng As Range)
RevStr = StrReverse(rng.text)
End Function

Copy/paste the event code to the worksheet module.

Const WS_RANGE As String = "A1:A10"
Dim cell As Range
On Error GoTo ws_exit:
Application.EnableEvents = False
With Target
.Value = RevStr(Target)
End With
End If
ws_exit:
Application.EnableEvents = True
End Sub

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Sat, 23 Aug 2008 13:26:49 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

Hi,

I'm trying to enter text within a cell from right to left instead of
the default left to right. For example, if I type "jason" I normally
see "jason" in the cell. What I would like to see is "nosaj" instead
of "jason". I'm not looking for a reverse text macro since I want the
direction to be changed as I type it in. Does anyone know if there is
a way to change the default settings to permit this?

Thanks,
Jason

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks Gordon.

This helps, but I'm not sure if it is exactly what I had in mind.
Using the scripts that you provided, the text does not appear in
reverse order until after I've changed the cell selection. Do you know
if there is a way to see the text populate in reverse order as I am
typing it in? For example, if I type '94628100' but start by typing
the zeros from right to left, it should populate like
'0','00','100','8100','28100','628100','4628100',' 94628100'. I'm also
using Excel 2007.

- Jason