Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default How do I permanantly install an "add-in"?

Another user, Andy Pope, helped me fix a problem I was having in Excel by
instructing me to use an "Add-in". When I download the add-in and use it to
open an Excel file, it works great. However, if I close the file, the
additional function provided by the add-in goes away on subsequent use. Andy
gave me instructions for installing the add-in permanently, but I cannot seem
to make it work (see below). If anyone could give a simple guy even more
simple instructions, I would really appreciate it.

Thank you,

Leland

Andy Pope-

Your advice is terrific, but I guess I need a bit more. When I download
your add-in, it works great and the chart looks exactly like I want.
Wonderful!

Then I follow your instructions about how to install the add-in, I am not
able to do it. I click the Office button, the Excel options button, and the
Add-ins button, but there is only one active application add-in available
(€śSend to Bluetooth€ť?) and when I click the €śGo€¦€ť button the add-in option
that I want (I am assuming that would be €śPattern Fills€ť) is not available.

How to I make your Pattern Fills Add-in appear in the €śActive Application
Add-ins€ť Window?

Thank you so much. -Leland

"Andy Pope" wrote:

Hi,

The UI for that feature was removed in xl2007 but this addin provides a
method of doing pattern fills.
http://www.andypope.info/charts/patternfills.htm

And this is how you install add-ins.
http://www.andypope.info/tips/tip010.htm
http://peltiertech.com/WordPress/200...in-excel-2007/

Cheers
Andy
--

Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
http://www.andypope.info
"Leland" wrote in message
I need a way to use fill type to distinguish columns in a column chart for
black and white publication. Ideally, this would be the traditional
horizontal, vertical or diagonal stripes or dots or checks. The only fill
options I seem to get in 2007 Excel are shading, colors, or "textures",
none
of which really fulfill my needs. Is there any way to access the
traditional
stripes or dots from previous versions of Excel?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You need to copy the add-in to the Excel Add-in folder.

Locating the Excel Add-In folder (source:
http://staff.science.uva.nl/~jnunnink/tabletrick/)
Unfortunately, the location of the Add-In folder is different for each
Windows or Excel version. Some of the possible locations a

Excel XP(2002) on Windows XP:
C:\Documents and Settings\UserName\Application Data\Microsoft\AddIns
Excel 2000 on Windows 98:
C:\Windows\Application Data\Microsoft\AddIns
Excel 97 on Windows 98:
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\Library
If this does not work for you, then there is a little trick to determine the
folder location:

Open a new workbook in Excel.
Choose Save As... in the File menu
At Save as type: select Microsoft Excel Add-In (*.xla)
The Save in: folder is now automatically changed to the Add-In folder
Check the location
Note: Apparently the Application Data folder is hidden on most systems. In
that case, turn on Show hidden folders under Folder Options... in the Tools
menu of Windows Explorer to find the (hidden) Add-Ins folder.

"Leland" wrote in message
I need a way to use fill type to distinguish columns in a column chart for
black and white publication. Ideally, this would be the traditional
horizontal, vertical or diagonal stripes or dots or checks. The only fill
options I seem to get in 2007 Excel are shading, colors, or "textures",
none
of which really fulfill my needs. Is there any way to access the
traditional
stripes or dots from previous versions of Excel?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You don't need to store in the Add-in folder.

Excel will find and list any Add-in stored in Office\Library.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

"Leland" wrote:

[...]

(“Send to Bluetooth”?) and when I click the “Go…” button the add-in option
that I want (I am assuming that would be “Pattern Fills”) is not available.

How to I make your Pattern Fills Add-in appear in the “Active Application
Add-ins” Window?

Thank you so much. -Leland

"Leland" wrote in message
I need a way to use fill type to distinguish columns in a column chart for
black and white publication. Ideally, this would be the traditional
horizontal, vertical or diagonal stripes or dots or checks. The only fill
options I seem to get in 2007 Excel are shading, colors, or "textures",
none
of which really fulfill my needs. Is there any way to access the
traditional
stripes or dots from previous versions of Excel?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thank you Sheeloo, Gord Dibben, and Dave Peterson,

I really appreciate your help. This was extremely helpful. I put the
Add-in into the folder:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\Library

And now it shows up just like Andy Pope said it would. I cannot thank you
enough for your help. I am truly grateful.

-Leland