Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Excel and the Olympic Games

Hello All!

I notice that various newspapers are beginning to proclaim "winners" for
the Games based on medal count. The commonest counts can dealt with by
Excel and it was interesting in 2004 that various reasonable weighting
schemes for gold, silver, bronze, 1:1:1(total medals), 5:3:1 and 3:2:1,
made no difference to the order of the top 10 countries. There were a
few small differences if only gold medals were counted.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Email, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

And it can deal with those as well.

And so ... your question is?

--
__________________________________
HTH

Bob

"James Silverton" wrote in message
Hello All!

I notice that various newspapers are beginning to proclaim "winners" for
the Games based on medal count. The commonest counts can dealt with by
Excel and it was interesting in 2004 that various reasonable weighting
schemes for gold, silver, bronze, 1:1:1(total medals), 5:3:1 and 3:2:1,
made no difference to the order of the top 10 countries. There were a few
small differences if only gold medals were counted.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Email, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

The medal count table is only used in the US with the exception of Google
which uses
the same standard as the rest of the world, how on earth anyone can think
that

26 gold, 26 silver and 27 bronze (US) is better than
43 gold, 14 silver and 19 bronze (China) is mind-boggling !?

Peo Sjoblom

"James Silverton" wrote in message
Hello All!

I notice that various newspapers are beginning to proclaim "winners" for
the Games based on medal count. The commonest counts can dealt with by
Excel and it was interesting in 2004 that various reasonable weighting
schemes for gold, silver, bronze, 1:1:1(total medals), 5:3:1 and 3:2:1,
made no difference to the order of the top 10 countries. There were a few
small differences if only gold medals were counted.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Email, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I was watching womens gymnastics last night. There is *no way* that this one
Chinese gymnast was 16 years old.

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Perhaps the weighting is done by event? Gold in ping-pong not being given as
much weight as gold in Tennis? Not as much value in a gold for basketball as
for water polo? Ok ... just kidding. Skill is skill, gold is gold.

Could be they've weighted it by available skill pool - obviously China has a
potential talent pool to draw from that's significantly larger than any other
single country in the world, based on population.

Who knows - these things are probably like any statistics ... run them by
enough people in the advertising department and they'll say what ever you
want them to.

"Peo Sjoblom" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Frankly I don't think any of the female gymnasts look like 16 year olds.
If I had gone through puberty with girls looking like that it wouldn't have
been much fun. <g

Peo Sjoblom

"T. Valko" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Bob wrote on Tue, 19 Aug 2008 20:35:18 +0100:

And so ... your question is?

I don't see any question marks in my post!

"James Silverton" wrote in
message ...
Hello All!

I notice that various newspapers are beginning to proclaim
"winners" for the Games based on medal count. The commonest

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Well then, perhaps
a Freudian Slip tied into a Gordian knot?

"dlw" wrote:

(sorry, wrong country)