-   -   Text to Columns - Excel 97 (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/199302-text-columns-excel-97-a.html)

Monk[_2_]

Text to Columns - Excel 97

We have a number of staff still using Excel 97. When they download a file
from a website, the data for some users appears in one column and they are
required to use the text to column function to separate the data. However,
for other users it will automatically separate the data into columns on
download.

Can someone please explain if there is a setting that will allow for data to
be automatically separated in columns on download. I can't seem to work out
why only some users are affected. Thanks

David Biddulph[_2_]

Text to Columns - Excel 97

Excel (at least more recent versions) tends to have a memory of the text to
columns options. Go into Data/ Text to Columns/ Delimiter, and set the
delimiter to what would be appropriate for your file.
Then try to open your file.
--
David Biddulph

"Monk" wrote in message
We have a number of staff still using Excel 97. When they download a file
from a website, the data for some users appears in one column and they are
required to use the text to column function to separate the data.
However,
for other users it will automatically separate the data into columns on
download.

Can someone please explain if there is a setting that will allow for data
be automatically separated in columns on download. I can't seem to work
out
why only some users are affected. Thanks

Monk[_2_]

Text to Columns - Excel 97

Thanks David. Doesn't seem to memorise. It defaults back to fixed width. I
might have to use a macro unless you can suggest something else.