Pete the Mag

Default Formatting dates prior to 1900

I need to enter dates in dd/mm/yyyy format prior to 1900 like 14/02/1834.
Can this be done?

Thanks
--
Pete
Fredrik Wahlgren

"Pete the Mag" wrote in message
I need to enter dates in dd/mm/yyyy format prior to 1900 like 14/02/1834.
Can this be done?

Thanks
--
Pete

Use an apostrophe as the first character, i.e. '14/02/1834
the postrophe won't appear and Excel will treat what follows as text.

/Fredrik

Pete the Mag

Thanks but,
I should have correctly posed the question as:
I need to enter dates in dd/mm/yyyy format prior to 1900 like 14/02/1834,
and be able to sort them into chronological order. Can this be done?

"Fredrik Wahlgren" wrote:

"Pete the Mag" wrote in message
I need to enter dates in dd/mm/yyyy format prior to 1900 like 14/02/1834.
Can this be done?

Thanks
--
Pete

Use an apostrophe as the first character, i.e. '14/02/1834
the postrophe won't appear and Excel will treat what follows as text.

/Fredrik

Chip Pearson

Excel doesn't support dates prior to 1900. John Walkenbach has
and extended date add-in that does, which you can find somewhere
at www.j-walk.com/ss

--
Cordially,
Chip Pearson

"Pete the Mag" wrote in
message
Thanks but,
I should have correctly posed the question as:
I need to enter dates in dd/mm/yyyy format prior to 1900 like
14/02/1834,
and be able to sort them into chronological order. Can this be
done?

"Fredrik Wahlgren" wrote:

"Pete the Mag" wrote in
message
I need to enter dates in dd/mm/yyyy format prior to 1900
like 14/02/1834.
Can this be done?

Thanks
--
Pete

Use an apostrophe as the first character, i.e. '14/02/1834
the postrophe won't appear and Excel will treat what follows
as text.

/Fredrik

Fredrik Wahlgren

"Pete the Mag" wrote in message
Thanks but,
I should have correctly posed the question as:
I need to enter dates in dd/mm/yyyy format prior to 1900 like 14/02/1834,
and be able to sort them into chronological order. Can this be done?

Yes. Let's say you have entered '14/02/1834 in A1 and downwards. Copy the
column and paste the values to column B.
Now, select column B and use Data|Text to columns. The wizard is easy to
understand. The dates will be split to thre columns.
Select columns A to D and select Data|Sort. Sort first on D, then on C and
then on B. When you're done, you an delete columns B to D.

/Fredrik

Gord Dibben

Pete

Download John Walkenbach's Extended Dates add-in.

You can work with dates prior to 1900.

http://www.j-walk.com/ss/excel/usertips/tip028.htm

Gord Dibben Excel MVP