Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default absolute reference in linked files

i am linking two files. i would like to be able to link one cell and then
just drag that reference down so that it copies the formula - as is the case
in a regular spreadsheet. however, i notice that when you link workbooks,
you get an absolute cell reference so you can't just drag the formula and
fill in subsequent rows. i know that you can edit out the absolute
reference. however, is there a reason that it is a good idea to have the
absolute reference? don't want to do anything that may cause me problems
down the road. any thoughts on this?

thanks
--
aprilshowers
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

however, is there a reason that it is a good idea to have the absolute
reference?

It's not good or bad. It's solely a matter of what you want to happen to
the references when you copy/paste the formula.

--
Jim
"april" wrote in message
|i am linking two files. i would like to be able to link one cell and then
| just drag that reference down so that it copies the formula - as is the
case
| in a regular spreadsheet. however, i notice that when you link workbooks,
| you get an absolute cell reference so you can't just drag the formula and
| fill in subsequent rows. i know that you can edit out the absolute
| reference. however, is there a reason that it is a good idea to have the
| absolute reference? don't want to do anything that may cause me problems
| down the road. any thoughts on this?
|
| thanks
| --
| aprilshowers

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Abslolute referencing works the same whether or not the cell being referenced
in in the same workbook or not. You can press the F4 key to cycle through
the various flavors of the relative/absolute/mixed references until you get
to the reference you want.

--
Kevin Backmann