Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Excel to dbf

How can I look at dbf in Excel 2007 and save type as dbf ? This was possible
in Excel 2003. I can open it with Access and then save as a Table but it is
linked somehow and cannot be joined to GIS files. It no longer is an option
in ArcMap.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Support for many file formats was eliminated in Excel 2007, including DBF.
I'm not really familiar with that format so I'd don't have a specific
suggestion.

--
Jim
"mona" wrote in message
| How can I look at dbf in Excel 2007 and save type as dbf ? This was
possible
| in Excel 2003. I can open it with Access and then save as a Table but it
is
| linked somehow and cannot be joined to GIS files. It no longer is an
option
| in ArcMap.

Junior Member

"mona" wrote in message
| How can I look at dbf in Excel 2007 and save type as dbf ? This was
possible
| in Excel 2003. I can open it with Access and then save as a Table but it
is
| linked somehow and cannot be joined to GIS files. It no longer is an
option
| in ArcMap.[/quote]

Hi there,

just wanted to let you know that I released a new version of the add-
in that enables saving a DBF file in Excel 2007.

New features:

1. Now you can add/insert new fields, create calculated fields in
addition to adding new records or editing existing records in your
native DBF file!

2. If you start with an Excel file the software now have enhanced
capabilities to determine the field types (better than Microsoft's own
in earlier Excel versions).

3. The add-in checks DBase field naming conventions and also
identifies duplicate fields. All problem field names are visually
identified with a cell comment!

4. If you start out with a brand new file and forget to save it, the
add-in will ask before the conversion.

5. Large files are supported. I edited files over 500,000 records with
no problem.

See the post at http://thexlwiz.blogspot.com/.

Gyula
Senior Member

Location: Hyderabad
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by mona View Post
How can I look at dbf in Excel 2007 and save type as dbf ? This was possible
in Excel 2003. I can open it with Access and then save as a Table but it is
linked somehow and cannot be joined to GIS files. It no longer is an option
in ArcMap.
try this link
http://www.dbfview.com/convert-xls-to-dbf.html

all the best