-   -   =[Book.xls]Sheet1!A1 and not c:\blah\=[Book.xls]Sheet1!A1 (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/197901-%3D%5Bbook-xls%5Dsheet1-a1-not-c-%5Cblah%5C%3D%5Bbook-xls%5Dsheet1-a1.html)

Gaijintendo

=[Book.xls]Sheet1!A1 and not c:\blah\=[Book.xls]Sheet1!A1

I am linking to external sheets but as soon as I enter
[FileName.xls]SheetName!A1
it resolves it to something like
='Macintosh:Users:MyName:Desktop:[FileName.xls]SheetName'!A1
Which is fair enough - that IS what I am referring to - but I want it to
Stay Relative.

Why? Because I would like to use this file as a template, and plop it in
lots of different folders - and see the data be gathered from other files -
so basically - I don't want Excel to fix the links!

Any suggestions. I am working with Excel 2008 but I assume it is much the
same on PC versions of Excel.

MartinW[_2_]

=[Book.xls]Sheet1!A1 and not c:\blah\=[Book.xls]Sheet1!A1

Hi,

The hyperlinks should always update to where they reside.
Go ahead and drop the copies into other folders the links
should still work. Or have I got the wrong idea of what
you mean?

HTH
Martin