Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Negative numbers in Excel Invoice

I am trying to add in a discount in an invoice but I keep getting the message
"You must enter a number into this cell" when I type in the negative sign. I
have also tried to do a formula (SUM(1400-1846.25) and it still won't accept
the negative. The sheet is unprotected. How do I get it to accept negative
numbers?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

It sounds like the developer of that invoice may have data|validation set for
that cell.

I'd look there first to see if that's turned on. I have no idea if removing it
will break the rest of the invoice, though.

Karen wrote:

I am trying to add in a discount in an invoice but I keep getting the message
"You must enter a number into this cell" when I type in the negative sign. I
have also tried to do a formula (SUM(1400-1846.25) and it still won't accept
the negative. The sheet is unprotected. How do I get it to accept negative
numbers?

--

Dave Peterson