Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default How do I give numerical values to each text item in a list

Hello, how do I set up a validation list, or any sort of dropdown list which
has text to chose from e.g a products list.

and when selected each product has a numerical value (price)

And then create a total from quantity x price(what was selected in the drop
down's numerical value)
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You need to create a 2 column table like this:

............A..........B.....
1...Product....Price...
2....Prod1.......15
3....Prod2.......10
4....Prod3.......17
5....Prod4.......10

Then you can use A2:A5 as the source for your drop down list. See this short
video on how to setup a drop down list:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=t2OsWJijrOM

Then, to get the price for the selected product assuming the drop down list
is in cell D1:

=VLOOKUP(D1,A2:B5,2,0)

--
Biff