Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Keep the ".00" for a number.

I have a column for currency. When I type in "25.00" it will show on the
spreadsheet as 25.00. HOWEVER the actual value has been auto formatted to
"25". I need to restrict this default setting since I am using the data for a
mail merge. As of now the mail merge will now display "25" instead of
"25.00".

I can't figure out how to change this!

Thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Can you format the cell as Text?

--
Wigi
http://www.wimgielis.be = Excel/VBA, soccer and music

"Marie" wrote:

I have a column for currency. When I type in "25.00" it will show on the
spreadsheet as 25.00. HOWEVER the actual value has been auto formatted to
"25". I need to restrict this default setting since I am using the data for a
mail merge. As of now the mail merge will now display "25" instead of
"25.00".

I can't figure out how to change this!

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Maybe create a separate, helper column using the text() function and format
to two places. Use that cell in the merge field. Dunno.

I would have thought Word would allow you to format the field, but I sure
don't see how.

"Marie" wrote:

I have a column for currency. When I type in "25.00" it will show on the
spreadsheet as 25.00. HOWEVER the actual value has been auto formatted to
"25". I need to restrict this default setting since I am using the data for a
mail merge. As of now the mail merge will now display "25" instead of
"25.00".

I can't figure out how to change this!

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If you are using Word for the mailmerge, you can set the mergefields to show
what you want in Word.

From a Dave Peterson post................................

Debra Dalgleish posted this:

There's an article on the Microsoft web site that might help you:

Answer Box: Numbers don't merge right in Word
http://office.microsoft.com/en-ca/as...164951033.aspx

And if you prefer the old Mail Merge helper, Word MVP Suzanne Barnhill
has instructions he

http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/C...ngWord2002.htm

about half way down the page.

==========
I often cheat instead of racking my brain.

I'll insert another column (probably hidden!) and use:
=text(a2,"0.0000%")
(or whatever format I want)
and use that field in the mailmerge.

(Cheating doesn't bother me anymore <vbg.)

End Dave post..............................................

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Mon, 4 Aug 2008 10:39:02 -0700, Marie
wrote:

I have a column for currency. When I type in "25.00" it will show on the
spreadsheet as 25.00. HOWEVER the actual value has been auto formatted to
"25". I need to restrict this default setting since I am using the data for a
mail merge. As of now the mail merge will now display "25" instead of
"25.00".

I can't figure out how to change this!

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thank you so much! I ended up formatting the actual merge field within
Microsoft Word. It's a lot easier than hiding a column which reformats the
data. The link you sent me was very helpful. To sum it up for anyone's future
reference

Go to the word template for the mail merge, press ALT F9, then I typed this
for the mergefield check amount: { MERGEFIELD Amount_ \# ##,###.00 }

Worked like a charm! Thank you so much for all of your help. Much appreciated!

"Gord Dibben" wrote:

If you are using Word for the mailmerge, you can set the mergefields to show
what you want in Word.

From a Dave Peterson post................................